What is Folic Acid?
Folic Acid aids in combatting fatigue, the production and maintenance of new cells in your body as well as the prevention of DNA alterations that can result in cancer.
Folic acid is used to treat anaemia (loss of red blood cells) brought on by folic acid deficiency. Red blood cells transport oxygen from your lungs to your body’s tissues. When there aren’t enough healthy red blood cells to deliver oxygen to your body’s organs, anaemia develops. As a result, feeling cold and signs of fatigue or weakness are frequent. Anaemia comes in a variety of forms, but iron-deficiency anaemia is the most prevalent.
Your risk of anaemia rises if your diet persistently lacks iron, vitamin B12, folic acid and copper.
Do you suffer from:
- Trouble concentrating
- Heart palpitations
- Sores on the tongue and inside the mouth
- A change in colour of the skin, hair, or fingernails
- Inability to conceive
People with a higher risk of Folic Acid deficiency are:
- Those affected by alcohol use disorders
- Pregnant women
- Women of childbearing age
- Those who suffer from ailments like celiac disease and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) interfere with nutrient absorption.
There may be interactions between Folic Acid supplements and a number of frequently given medications, including:
Drugs for treating epilepsy, including valproate (Depacon), phenytoin (Dilantin), carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol, etc.), and sulfasalazine (Azulfadine), as well as methotrexate, which is used to treat various malignancies and autoimmune illnesses.
Before using Folic Acid supplements if you’re taking one of these medications, please consult your doctor.
- Take 1 tablet per day after a meal. Take 2 hours before or after any medication. Other medications’ efficacy may be impacted by folic acid too. Avoid taking your folic acid within two hours of having aluminium- or magnesium-containing antacids, since this may prevent the folic acid from being effectively absorbed.
- Suitable from the age of 4 years
- Brain and nerve function
- DNA creation and repair
- Combats fatigue
- Improves fertility in both men and women
- Helps prevent birth abnormalities and problems during pregnancy
- Lowers the risk factors for heart disease
- Helps diabetics regulate their blood sugar levels and prevent insulin resistance
- Helps prevent inflammation and kidney disease
- Supports the liver
- Supports the immune system